Wednesday, June 6, 2018

You can outgrow a catchy name but you can't outgrow yourself

For about 2 years now I've been wanting to change the name of my blog from Good Job Momma to something else.

I've toyed around with using my Instagram name Airkaka as a name for a new blog name, but fear of changing it was holding me back.

Which is stupid.

A thought came to me the other day and I knew I HAD to make the blog name change.
 "hey Erica, you can outgrow a catchy name but you can't outgrow yourself"
Mind blown.

When I started blogging it was just a simple family blog that I used to update family and a journal for myself of what was going on in my life. Then a few years into it I thought I need to change the name, so I created Good Job Momma, at the time I had 2 kids and basically no identity.  What I mean by that is, I was so wrapped up in just being a mom that I didn't know how to do anything else. I had no hobbies, I didn't spend much time outside the home, and I was totally engulfed in my two little ones at that time and the blog idea made sense.

I had big plans for the name.  Great ideas to execute on the blog, but did most of those happen? no.

I was starting to feel trapped in the name. Silly, but when you go to a blog called Good Job Momma what do you expect? amazing mom content.  I just wasn't happy with it.  I am more than a mom, and I have so much to share that doesn't have to just do with being a mom, and I felt a major shift within my blog prior to this name change. I've been discovering who I am for many years now, and It was time to look to the future.

Why Everyday Airkaka?

Well airkaka is my silly instagram name.  I had admired instagram for a long time and I remember the day it was compatable with andorid phones.  I immediately downloaded the app and signed up. The all important line stared back at me, username. I went through a lot of different options in my head before settling on Airka, which a friend of mine wrote my name like that one time in high school and i always thought it was clever, then I thought well i'll had a second 'ka' to the end just for good measure and Airkaka was born April 3, 2011.

I've grown so much using that name through instagram it felt just plain weird and off to have a blog name that didn't associate with it at all. I was trying to grow to many different places when I was really wanting to grow more in one and have it branch to the others.

I've been learning more about branding and things with Alison's Brand School, and it made sense, and I wanted to make sense, so long story short, I am now Everyday Airkaka.

I get to still be the name I've created and built on my Instagram platform and I get to be that everywhere else now. One cohesive happy little family.

I'm excited for the changes and for finally feeling like I can just be who I am however it may go. I can't outgrow myself and there is so much more potential for growth now!



No comments:

Post a Comment